The Six Constant Mitzvot (Commandments):
- To know and believe in the existence and providence of G-d.
- Don't believe in any other god(s) or powers whatsoever.
- To know and believe that G-d is one. "Hear O Israel, the Lord our
G-d, the Lord is one" (Deut. 6:4). The Rambam (Maimonides) writes
that the highest level of wisdom a person can attain is to comprehend
the simplistic oneness of G-d.
- To love G-d. Love is the emotional pleasure and perception of another's
virtues. As Rambam writes, a person can only have true love according
to the degree they know the object of their love. To know a little
- love a little. To know a lot - love a lot.
- Fear (awe) of G-d. Yirah Shamyim (yirah = "to fear" and "to see",
Shamyim = "G-d's Place") King Solomon says "Fear G-d and keep his
commandments for that is the whole duty of Humanity. The beginning
of wisdom is fear of G-d." Fear will bring you to love.
- "Don't be misled by your heart and your eyes" as stated by Rabbi
Noah Weingberg. Don't think you're so strong and don't have total
trust in yourself.
THE RAMBAM'S THIRTEEN PRINCIPLES OF JEWISH
FAITH: (As quoted from the Orthodox Union of America)
- I believe with perfect faith that G-d is the Creator and Ruler of
all things. He alone has made, does make, and will make all things.
- I believe with perfect faith that G-d is One. There is no unity that
is in any way like His. He alone is our G-d He was, He is, and He will
- I believe with perfect faith that G-d does not have a body. physical
concepts do not apply to Him. There is nothing whatsoever that resembles
Him at all.
- I believe with perfect faith that G-d is first and last.
- I believe with perfect faith that it is only proper to pray to G-d.
One may not pray to anyone or anything else.
- I believe with prefect
faith that all the words of the prophets are true.
- I believe with
perfect faith that the prophecy of Moses is absolutely true. He was
the chief of all prophets, both before and after Him.
- I believe with
perfect faith that the entire Torah that we now have is that which was
given to Moses.
- I believe with perfect faith that this Torah will
not be changed, and that there will never be another given by G-d.
- I believe with perfect faith that G-d knows all of man's deeds and thoughts.
It is thus written (Psalm 33:15), "He has molded every heart together,
He understands what each one does."
- I believe with perfect faith
tha G-d rewards those who keep His commandments, and punishes those
who transgress Him.
- I believe with perfect faith in the coming of
the Messiah. How long it takes, I will await His coming every day.
I believe with perfect faith that the dead will be brought back to life
when G-d wills it to happen.
SOME GOOD AND HELPFUL THOUGHTS
If G-d brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise G-d.
Difficult moments, seek G-d.
Quiet moments, worship G-d.
Painful moments, trust G-d.
Every moment, thank G-d.
There's no present like time, and no time like the present.
(Apply towards important relationships: marriage, children, parents...)